TITLE: Emergency Center Health Unit Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Center
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform clerical duties for the unit, function as a receptionist, transcribe physician’s orders, and register Emergency Center/First Care patients entering the facility for services.
- Understand and live St. Vincent Hospital’s mission and values of Care, Joy, Respect, and Quality.
- Enter orders and patient charges, enter and/or retrieve data, and locate patient data on charts or on-line as needed.
- Answer telephone, screen calls, take messages, and provide information according to established policies.
- Greet and assist visitors demonstrating positive customer relations and communication skills.
- Assemble and maintain patient charts accurately.
- Maintains complete and accurate unit records.
- Facilitate patient transfers and discharges.
- Communicate pertinent information regarding patient, physician, personnel concerns, and unit activities to the director.
- Promote and maintain confidentiality
- Comply with the specific department standards established for personal/work-related responsibilities.
- Interview patient to obtain, verify, update and correct information necessary to complete the registration process. Enter patient information into the system.
- Review hospital admissions to ensure accurate financial, demographic data and to ensure documents have been obtained and properly entered into the hospital data system.
- Explain pertinent hospital policies, obtain signatures and answer questions about the hospital.
- Compile and distribute information regarding patient’s personal, insurance, and financial status. Provide appropriate forms to other departments.
- Practice regular and reliable attendance.
- Update Emergency Center manuals.
- Assist in care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Monitor supply level and order when needed.
A high school diploma and knowledge of medical terminology are required. Completion of the Health Unit Coordinator course is preferred. Candidate should possess the ability to work autonomously and deal with a variety of people; be able to read and follow a written/verbal protocol; and demonstrate effective communication and organizational skills.
ACCOUNTABILITIES FOR MISSION:
Support and maintain the Christian philosophy of the Hospital Sisters Health System and the mission of St. Vincent Hospital. Identify patient related ethical concerns. Promote patient rights and responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote positive customer relationships with visitors, patients, physicians, and unit, department and interdepartment staff in a friendly, caring, and timely manner.
Source: St. Vincent Hospital, Green Bay, WI.