NASA Forecasts Zika Mosquitoes in 50 Cities by Mid-July
Modeling projections based on habitat, precipitation, weather
NASA recently issued a modeling study that projects that prevalence of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes — the primary vector for Zika virus transmission — for 50 selected U.S. cities in 21 states for the upcoming summer months.1
By mid-July, all fifty cities are projected to be “meteorologically suitable” for Ae. aegypti, with far southeastern cities possibly seeing high bug abundance; other eastern cities projected at moderate-to-high abundance; and select western cities forecast to low-to-moderate abundance. Here is a listing of the states and cities NASA projected to have the following levels of mosquito abundance in mid-July:
- AL: Mobile;
- FL: Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, Tallahassee, Tampa;
- GA: Savannah;
- LA: New Orleans;
- SC: Charleston;
- TX: Brownsville, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio.
Moderate to high:
- AL: Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery;
- AK: Fayetteville, Little Rock;
- GA: Atlanta, Augusta;
- LA: Shreveport;
- MI: Jackson;
- MO: Kansas City, St. Louis;
- NY: New York City;
- NC: Charlotte, Raleigh;
- PA: Philadelphia;
- SC: Columbia;
- TN: Memphis, Nashville;
- VA: Richmond;
- TX: Dallas, El Paso, Houston, San Antonio;
- Washington, DC.
Low to moderate:
- AZ: Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma;
- CA: Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento;
- CO: Denver;
- NV: Las Vegas;
- NM: Albuquerque;
- OK: Oklahoma City;
- TX: El Paso, Midland, Laredo;
- UT: Salt Lake City.
- Monaghan AJ, Morin CW, Steinhoff DF, et al. On the Seasonal Occurrence and Abundance of the Zika Virus Vector Mosquito Aedes Aegypti in the Contiguous United States. PLOS Curr Outbreaks. March 16, 2016: http://bit.ly/1Z2UKsC.
NASA recently issued a modeling study that projects that prevalence of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes for 50 selected U.S. cities in 21 states for the upcoming summer months.
Subscribe Now for Access
You have reached your article limit for the month. We hope you found our articles both enjoyable and insightful. For information on new subscriptions, product trials, alternative billing arrangements or group and site discounts please call 800-688-2421. We look forward to having you as a long-term member of the Relias Media community.