These data from The Doctors Company, a malpractice insurer based in Napa, CA, illustrate malpractice cases from 2011 to 2016 in which a failure or delaying in reporting findings of lab results was a contributing factor. The percentages add up to more than 100% because, in some cases, there may be more than one factor that led to a lawsuit.
- Patient did not receive results — no report or wrong report: 45%.
- Clinician did not receive results — other: 36%.
- Clinician did not receive results — results filed before clinician review: 18%.
- Failure/delay in reporting findings/revised findings — other: 11%.
- Clinician did not receive results — report went to wrong clinician: 8%.
- Turnaround time for results too long: 3%.