Case managers can access a free, downloadable guide about how to improve communication with families during stressful health events.
The guide, called RightConversations, offers 10 tips for effective communication, plus a communication planner, a family action planner, and an information journal.
The guide is available at: http://bit.ly/2KapBGz.
Here are some tips on how to help plan the conversation:
• prepare to help the loved one be ready and open to the discussion;
• set realistic goals, looking at what each family member hopes to accomplish;
• identify the discussion leader and encourage others to provide moral support;
• determine the best setting in which to hold the discussion. The setting sets the tone for a comfortable conversation, which should last no more than an hour. Placing a time limit on the conversation helps to prevent it from unraveling;
• plan and practice key messages for the conversation;
• address facts and concerns;
• accept that the discussion could be difficult and be ready for it;
• use open-ended questions, which are effective in gathering information;
• thank everyone for their time;
• practice the conversation to ensure words are chosen carefully and thoughtfully.