By Melinda Young
When hospitalized patients need to be transitioned to a skilled nursing facility (SNF), one of the first hurdles is finding the right place.
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston has developed a one-page tool to help families with this decision. Here are a few excerpts from the tool, titled “Touring a Skilled Nursing Facility:”
• What questions should I ask?
- Do you have a full-time rehab (physical, occupational, and speech therapy) staff on site?
- How much therapy will I receive?
- What types of insurance do you accept?
- Is there a waitlist for admission?
- What is the average rehabilitative stay?
- Were there any issues with your recent health inspection? If so, how are you addressing them?
- What are your visitation policies?
- Is there any additional cost for services not covered by insurance, such as laundry, cable, and hairdresser?
• What should I look for?
- Does the facility appear to be clean, well-maintained, and free from unpleasant odors?
- Is the staff engaged with patients in a positive and respectful way?
- Do staff members greet you as you tour the building?
• What areas should I ask to see?
- Gym/therapy areas;
- Dining room;
- Shared areas where patients can visit with family and friends.