Key Messages on STDs and Reproduction
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can affect the full cycle of reproductive health.
- Birth control pills do not prevent STDs. To prevent infection, use condoms in addition to another method of contraception.
- If left untreated, some STDs can lead to permanent infertility.
- Some STDs can be passed from a pregnant woman to her fetus or baby.
- If detected, STDs can be treated during pregnancy to help protect the baby.
Source: Cates JR, Herndon NL, Schulz SL, et al. Our Voices, Our Lives, Our Futures: Youth and Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Chapel Hill, NC: School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; 2004.