The business case for workplace EOL programs
The following responses were reported in a survey of companies on end-of-life issues conducted in 1999 by Last Acts, when respondents were asked for input on the benefits of addressing issues:
- employee satisfaction, good will and improved morale;
- being able to care for employees/showing employees the company cares;
- employee loyalty, increased commitment;
- increase in productivity, rapid return to work.
The publication, Research Findings from Studies with Companies and Caregivers, reported the following business reasons for starting an end-of-life program:
- Research has shown that work-life programs positively affect the bottom line of an employer’s balance sheet by fostering loyalty, morale and productivity of the work force.
- Companies that have started end-of-life programs report a decrease in medical, mental health, and substance abuse claims as well as a decrease in mistakes and an increase in productivity.
- An increased number of workers are actively involved in providing care for a family member — approximately one out of five employees. With an increasing aging population, more workers will be addressing end-of-life issues associated with this care giving.
- Dealing with grief not only affects the worker directly experiencing a loss, but affects his or her co-workers as well.
- Managers and supervisors are better able to support and manage a work team with the enhanced resources of an end-of-life program.
- A workplace end-of-life program demonstrates a company’s commitment to the needs of its work force, and therefore is an excellent recruitment tool.
The following responses were reported in a survey of companies on end-of-life issues conducted in 1999 by Last Acts, when respondents were asked for input on the benefits of addressing issues.
Subscribe Now for Access
You have reached your article limit for the month. We hope you found our articles both enjoyable and insightful. For information on new subscriptions, product trials, alternative billing arrangements or group and site discounts please call 800-688-2421. We look forward to having you as a long-term member of the Relias Media community.