CMS questions during a nursing home survey
According to a new guide book on infection prevention in long term care by the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) the following questions may be asked during a survey by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS):
- Are proper hand washing techniques followed by the staff? Are gloves worn if there is contact with blood, specimens, tissue, body fluids, or excretions?
- Are gloves changed between resident contacts?
- Are staff who are providing direct care free from communicable diseases or infected skin lesions?
- Are precautions observed for the disposal of soiled linens, dressings, disposable equipment
- (sharps, etc.), and for the cleaning of contaminated reusable equipment?
- Are linens and laundry handled or transported in a manner to prevent the spread of infection?
- Are Isolation Precautions implemented when it is determined that a resident needs isolation?
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC). Infection Preventionist's Guide to Long-Term Care 2013 First edition, November 2013; ISBN: 1-933013-59-1 Washington, DC.