Measurement practices under the microscope
White paper to explore patient experience
Just as Hospital Peer Review was going to press, the Beryl Institute issued a press release stating that it was publishing a white paper that brought together a group of traditional competitors to answer questions about how they measure patient experience.
"Voices of Measurement in Improving Patient Experience" shares the perspectives of seven healthcare survey organizations — Avatar International, Catalyst Healthcare Research, Gallup, Health Stream, National Research Corporation, PressGaney, and Professional Research Consultants.
In a series of directed interviews, the companies' representatives answered questions about the rationale for effective measurement, including methods, effective collection, analysis, and actions. The questions included:
- Why is measurement important in addressing patient experience?
- What do you see as key measurement practice and what are the best methods for gathering and using data?
- Where should we be focusing to drive effective measurement in patient experience?
- What are the best and most effective modes of data collection?
- How should organizations be using measurement to support their experience efforts and drive their overall strategy?
- What is the best means to analyze and understand measurement data?
- What do you see as the impact of HCAHPS/CAHPS surveys and how has this common requirement influenced measurement strategy?
- What is the impact and potential outcome of effective measurement practice?
The white paper is available at http://www.theberylinstitute.org/?page=PUBLICATIONS. Next month, Hospital Peer Review will take a more in depth look at the paper.