Use key instructions for correct condom use
To promote the correct use of condoms, use these five key condom instructions, developed at a World Health Organization Experts Meeting:1
- Use a new condom for each act of intercourse if any risk of pregnancy or sexually transmitted infection exists.
- Before any genital contact, place the condom on the tip of the erect penis with the rolled side out.
- Unroll the condom all the way to the base of the erect penis.
- Immediately after ejaculation, hold the rim of the condom and withdraw the penis while it is still erect.
- Throw away the used condom safely.
- Steiner MJ, Warner L, Stone KM, et al. Condoms and other barrier methods for the prevention of STD/HIV infection, and pregnancy. In: Holmes KK, Spalding PF, Mardh P-A. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, fourth ed. New York, NY: MacGraw-Hill, 2008.