Ask yourself these questions
When reviewing data, ask the following questions concerning the data:
· How is the clinical population defined? Am I comparing "apples to apples," or am I looking at an aggregate grouping of data (i.e., by DRG)?
· Are the data severity-adjusted?
· What is the source of the data?
· What is the time frame of the data?
· What is the sample size of the data? Is it statistically significant?
· Have the data been audited against source documents and/or extracted and validated by an information professional?
Source: Hinsdale (IL) Hospital.