Resources help moms stay healthy
Each trimester, the prenatal coordinator sends women enrolled in the First Priority Health Prenatal Program resource materials relevant to their gestational stage. Below is a list of the extensive resources sent to members enrolled in the prenatal program of this subsidiary of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Northeastern Pennsylvania in Wilkes-Barre.
– First Trimester
• introductory letter to member;
• information on folic acid;
• information on smoking cessation;
• information on fetal growth and development;
• letter for dads;
• nutritional guide;
• information on protein;
• information on making healthy choices;
• the book, What to Expect When You’re Expecting.
– Second Trimester
• information on healthy snacks;
• information on fast food choices;
• information on exercise;
• magnet of warning signs of preterm labor;
• premature labor booklet;
• helpful hints on breastfeeding;
• warning signs on pregnancy induced hypertension;
• brochure of childbirth education classes at participating facilities;
• information on Kegel exercises.
– Third Trimester
• information on self-palpation;
• information on kick-counts;
• information on preterm labor;
• information on timing contractions;
• La Leche League letter.
Women with special risks also receive the following appropriate materials as needed:
• information on cesarean sections;
• information on vaginal birth after cesarean section;
• hints for coping with bedrest during pregnancy;
• information on gestational diabetes.