New Positions Combine Old Jobs
Here is Memorial Hospital’s staffing for the patient-focused care model:
• Professionals: registered nurses, physical therapists, social workers, dietitians, respiratory therapists, physicians, psychologists.
• Clinical associates: Licensed practical nurses, certified occupational therapy assistants, or physical therapy assistants.
• Patient care associate: Cross-trained, non-licensed technicians who have gone through the state program to become Certified Nursing Assistants. They are trained in phlebotomy and have gone through training to become multi-skilled therapy aides. They can work on the floor to take care of patient needs or can work as a physical therapy or occupational therapy aide in the gym.
• Information associate: A cross between an admissions clerk and the ward clerk. They perform traditional ward clerk activities and register the patients at the bedside computer upon admission.
• Patient service associate: A combination of environmental services, dietary, biomedical engineering, and materials management. These staff perform equipment checks, check the patients’ rooms and equipment after discharge, and get rooms ready for new admissions. They keep up with supplies on the unit and make sure the staff have the supplies they need. These are assigned to a unit and are part of a specific patient care team.