Check out these web sites for risk-adjusted Medpar data

To do your own comparative analysis to prepare for Joint Commission surveys, you’ll need to obtain risk-adjusted Medpar data, says Patti Muller Smith, RN, EdD, a consultant for Shawnee, OK-based Administrative Consulting Services.

"These data can be obtained from a variety of commercial sources or may be bundled into services already provided such as billing audits," she explains. Here is a partial listing of vendors offering risk-adjusted data:

  • Administrative Consultant Services, 678 Kickapoo Spur, P.O. Box 3368, Shawnee, OK 74802. Phone: (405) 878-0118. Fax: (405) 878-0411. Web site:
  • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has risk-adjusted data on its web site: cms.hhs. gov. The site offers downloads of Medicare data sets at no cost, often in PC-ready formats. Click on "Statistics and Data."
  • Health Grades Inc., 44 Union Blvd., Suite 600, Lakewood, CO 80228. Phone: (303) 716-0041. E-mail: Web site:
  • Solucient, 1800 Sherman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201. Phone: (800) 366-7526. E-mail: provider Web site: