The trusted source for
healthcare information and
Last year, the American Physical Therapy Association in Alexandria, VA, created a special interest group for members interested in wound care. Among the goals of the new Wound Management Special Interest Group are:
• Establish a national certification examination for a wound management clinical specialty for physical therapists.
• Foster physical therapy management of wound healing based upon a scientific foundation.
• Provide standards for entry-level physical therapy education programs regarding the management of wounds.
• Encourage and foster clinical and laboratory research through dissemination, presentation, and mentorship.
• Provide a forum for the discussion of the management of wound healing among physical therapists from the various association sections.
• Establish standards for measurement protocols and terminology.
• Provide a framework for interaction of other health care professionals who treat wounds.
• Provide a network for enhancing communication between clinicians, academicians, and researchers in the physical therapy community interested in the management of wounds.
[For more information on the Wound Management Special Interest Group, contact American Physical Therapy Association, 1111 N. Fairfax St., Alexandria, VA 22314. Telephone: (703) 684-2782. Fax: (703) 684-7343. World Wide Web: http://apta.edoc.com/.]