Report lists stats by payer status
A recent Research Note published by the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) in Rockville, MD, presents descriptive statistics according to insurance status for the top 50 diagnoses and top 50 procedures in U.S. hospitals, based on a nationwide administrative database from 1993. The report includes data from privately insured, Medicare, Medicaid, and self-pay patients.
Statistics presented include:
· number and percent of discharges;
· percent of female patients;
· percent of discharges by age category;
· percent of inpatients with major therapeutic problems;
· percent of inpatients with major diagnostic problems;
· percent of inpatients with no procedure, or only minor procedures;
· discharge status of inpatients, including home care, routine, transfer to another acute care facility, transfer to long-term care, and death in the hospital;
· percent of inpatients with in-hospital complications;
· mean length of stay.
Copies of the report, Descriptive Statistics by Insurance Status for Most Frequent Hospital Diagnoses and Procedures, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP-3) Research Note 5 (AHCPR Publi ca tion #97-0009), is available free of charge from the AHCPR Clearinghouse at: AHCPR Publications Clearinghouse, Attn: 97-0009, P.O. Box 8547, Silver Spring, MD 20907. Telephone: (800) 358-9295.