The trusted source for
healthcare information and
If traveling by plane, keep a carry-on bag within reach at all times, containing:
- twice as much medication (insulin or oral agent) and supplies, including syringes, as anticipated will be needed;
- all monitoring equipment, including extra batteries for monitor;
- glucose tablets;
- prescriptions for all medications;
- snacks: crackers, cheese, peanut butter, juice;
- names of physician and/or diabetes association at your destination.
- Wear medical bracelet at all times.
- Obtain an American Diabetes Association affiliate identity card from the local diabetes association, preferably a version written in major languages.
- If traveling by plane, insulin should not be checked with baggage because the temperature extremes in cargo holds can diminish its effectiveness.