JCAHO releases most common sentinel events
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has released a list of the most common sentinel events since 1995 in ambulatory centers and hospitals.
For ambulatory centers, the most common events are:
- wrong-site surgery (36.7% of sentinel events);
- clinically significant delays in treatment (26.5%);
- operative or post-op complications (14.3%);
- medication errors (8.2%);
- anesthesia-related events (4.1%).
The most common events in hospitals are:
- operative or post-op complications (19%);
- wrong-site surgery (17.6%);
- medication errors (14.7%);
- suicide (5.4%);
- delays in treatment (5%).