Infusion vitamin shortage to continue for short term
Astra, the maker of MVI-12 Multi-Vitamins for Infusion, reports that the shortage of its product likely will alleviate but not disappear in the near future.
"I checked with Astra, and they said there should be a supply available [shortly]," says Ken Rabin, PhD and spokesman for Astra. "[The shortage won’t] end, but should abate somewhat is a better way to put it."
Rabin notes that the problem arose when Schein, which manufactured the only other infusion multi-vitamin with similar lead ingredients to MVI-12, had a problem with contamination. The resulting shutdown and recertification by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has created a shortage, one that Astra is simply unable to fill on its own.
"It’s not economical to have that much redundancy in the system," notes Rabin. "The total supply was cut considerably. Schein’s product shut down, and Fujisawa makes an infusion multivitamin, but it does not have the same lead range of ingredients."
Rabin notes that the American Society of Parental and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) recently released emergency guidelines for physicians and other health-care professionals treating patients who require IV multivitamins. You may obtain a copy of the guidelines from ASPEN by fax, at (800) 905-7781, and request document 5010. Or, you may access the guidelines on the Internet at www. clinnutr.org.
• National Home Infusion Association Sixth Annual Conference, May 7-10, San Diego Marriott and Convention Center. For more information, call NHIA at (703) 549-3740.
• Intravenous Nurses Society Annual Meeting and Industrial Exhibition, May 3-8, Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City. For more information, contact the INS at (617) 441-3008.
• Home Health Care Nursing, sponsored by Contemporary Forums, Chicago, May 12-14, 1997. For more information, call (510) 828-7100, Ext. 3.
• FutureShow, featuring NAMES conference/business meetings, May 21-22, Bally’s Hotel, Las Vegas. For more information, call SEMCO Productions at (770) 641-8181.
• Third Annual Managed Home Care Congress, produced by The National Managed Health Care Congress, June 11-13, Nashville Convention Center, Nashville, TN. For more information, call (617) 505-8000.
• Medtrade 97, Oct. 7-10, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans. For more information, call SEMCO Productions at (770) 641-8181, fax (770) 641-1499, or visit its Web site at www. semcopro.com.
National Association for Home Care Official Meeting Schedule:
• Annual Meeting and HOMECARExpo
Oct. 18-22, 1997, Hynes Convention Center,
Oct. 3-7, 1998, Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta,
Oct. 9-13, 1999, San Diego Convention Center
Sept. 23-27, 2000, Morial Convention Center, New Orleans
• Legal Symposium and National Policy Conference, including Office Automation Exposition
March 15-18, 1998, Washington (DC) Hilton
• National Home Care Aide Service Conference
June 8-10, 1997, Ritz Carlton, Palm Beach, FL
• Remaining 1997 Regional Conferences
May 5-7, Westin Galleria, Dallas, TX
June 4-6 Doubletree Islander, Newport, RI
June 25-27, Omni Inner Harbor, Baltimore
July 9-11 Westin Resort, Hilton Head, SC
July 23-25, Ritz Carlton Kansas City (MO)
July 30 - Aug. 1, Snow Bird Resort, Snow Bird, UT
Aug. 27-29, Hyatt Regency, Minneapolis