Keys to an effective diabetes program
The following checklist outlines the foundation of an effective diabetes disease management strategy. In fact, many of these principles can be applied to any disease management program:
1. The program must be realistic, implementable, practical, and down to earth.
2. A program that is relatively "hands-off" for the employer can add efficiency.
3. The written material must be user-friendly written at roughly a sixth-grade level.
4. The program should be based on sound clinical reasoning.
5. The participant should be at the center of his or her own care; make him or her the primary care provider.
6. Focus on prevention.
7. Integrate the program with the employee’s physician.
8. Monitor outcomes rigorously.
9. Be proactive in the recruitment of participants.
10. Make sure your health care counselors are readily accessible.