The trusted source for
healthcare information and
72 hours before midnight Dec. 31, 1999
- Review OR schedules.
- Ensure additional cash is available for emergency purposes (minimum two-week cash reserve).
- Facilities management will ensure adequate supplies of diesel fuel, oil, gasoline, and bottled gas.
- All services and product lines will turn refrigerators and freezers to highest setting in anticipation of an electrical outage.
48 hours before midnight Dec. 31, 1999
- When rooms or areas are vacated for any period of time, disconnect all nonessential electrical equipment.
- For facilities in warm locations, buildings should be cooled to lowest temperature without compromising patient care. For hospitals in cool locations, temperature should be heated to highest possible temperature without compromising patient care.
- All utility systems should be tested and checked.
Within one hour after midnight
- The phone system should be checked.
First business day after
- All critical medical devices should be tested and checked.
- Prioritize repairs and/or replacements for all equipment and systems with millennium-related problems.
- Inservice training day when all equipment is calibrated.
- Continue awareness programs.
- List necessary critical supplies to acquire.
- List all critical services to contract.
- List alternate vendors for critical services.
- Plan disaster drill.
- Managers train staff on role in contingency plans.
- Conduct disaster drill.
- Critique disaster drill.
- Initiate procedures for reduction in patient scheduling for execution phase.
- Refine contingency plans based upon critique.
- Begin procuring critical supplies/equipment.
- Review storage area and distribution procedure for supplies.
- Managers identify list of critical internal contacts.
- Review acquisition of backup equipment.
- Inspect all acquired equipment used for contingencies.
- Train staff on use of equipment.
- Managers review staff roles for contingency.
- Review staffing plans.
- Ensure all contracts/supplies are acquired.
- Post list of critical contacts.