The trusted source for
healthcare information and
Editor’s Note: This is not a comprehensive list. Further suggested reading is available by contacting the organizations listed on p. 91.
• Beckett P, Wynne B, Redmond S. Mother-baby care: A roadmap for success. J Fam Cent Nurs 1996; 1:10-13.
• Midmer DK. Does family-centered maternity care empower women? The development of the woman-centered childbirth model. Fam Med 1992; 24:216-221.
Newborn Intensive Care:
• Als H, Lawhon G, Duffy FH, et al. Individualized developmental care for very low-weight preterm infant: Medical and neurofunctional effects. JAMA 1994; 272:853-858.
• DeGuehery KA, Noyes SL. Family-centered care: Application to practice. Mother-Baby Journal 1998; 3:26-32.
• Griffin T. Nurse barriers to parenting in the special care nursery. J Neo Nurs 1990; 4:56-57.
• National Association of Neonatal Nurses. Infant and family-centered developmental care guidelines. Des Plaines, IL; 1995. Available from the association. Telephone: (847) 299-6266.
Family-Centered Care in Pediatrics
• Dunst, CJ. "Conceptual and empirical foundations of the family-centered practice." In: Illback R, Cobb C, Joseph H, eds. Integrated Services for Children and Families: Opportunities for Psychosocial Practice. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1997, pp. 75-91.
• Horsburgh CR. Healing by design. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:735-740.
• Leyden CG. Consumer Bill of Rights: Family-centered care. Pediatr Nurs 1998:24:72-73.
Adult Health Care
• Beckman HB, Markakis KM, Suchman AL, et al. The doctor-patient relationship and malpractice. Arch Intern Med 1994; 154:1,365-1,370.
• Blank AE, Horowitz S, Matza D. Patient’s Perspective: Quality with a human face? The Samuels Planetree model hospital unit. Jt Comm J Qual Improv 1995; 21:289-299.
• Gerteis M, Edgman-Levitan S, Daley J, et al., eds. Through the Patient’s Eyes: Understanding and Promoting Patient-centered Care. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1993.
• Levinson W, Roter DL, Mullooly JP, et al. Physician-patient communication: The relationship with malpractice claims among primary care physicians and surgeons. JAMA 1997; 277:553-559.
Medical Education/Professional Education
• Darling RB, Peter MI, eds. Families, Physicians, and Children with Special Needs: Collaborative Medical Education Models. Westport, CT: Auburn House; 1994.
• Heymann J. Equal Partners: A Physician’s Call for a New Spirit of Medicine. Boston: Little, Brown & Co; 1995.
• Levinson W, Roter D. The effects of two continuing medical education programs on communication skills of practicing primary care physicians. J Gen Intern Med 1993; 8:318-324.