The trusted source for
healthcare information and
Watch for future fax-back surveys from HCM
In the June issue of Hospital Case Management, we included a fax-back survey that asked readers to tell us the three biggest challenges in their job today. We are going to refer to your responses as we plan articles in upcoming issues. We want HCM to be as helpful as possible and jam-packed with articles relevant to those challenges.
Here are some of the challenges readers say are among their top three:
• working with managed care in a rural setting;
• how to maintain quality with fewer people to care for patients;
• automating concurrent outcomes in an outdated information system;
• keeping up with regulations and being creative in finding solutions for appropriate, effective care;
• getting physicians to buy into case/outcomes management;
• providing training to staff in order to "grow our own" case managers for both internal and external clients;
• getting Medicaid beds for ventilator patients (in Alabama);
• increasing physician utilization of clinical pathways;
• prioritizing time (should I be out on the floor seeing patients or in my office looking at data? doing research? improving processes?);
• getting the work done without constantly having to justify what I’m doing and why to different department heads and administration.
These responses came from hospitals of all sizes and types across the country.
HCM will be distributing more fax-back surveys in future issues. We hope you’ll respond to them so the editors will know what’s on your mind. Also, we are always interested in hearing about your case management projects and seeing your new critical pathways for possible inclusion in the news letter.
Please contact Dorothy Pennachio, Editor, Hospital Case Management, 160 Deer Trail N., Ramsey, NJ 07446. Telephone: (201) 760-8700. Fax: (201) 760-8709. E-mail: dorothy.pennachio@ medec.com.