Where to go for help in your review
To obtain information about medical record quality standards that may be useful in preparing your patient files for an external review, contact:
• American Association for the Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities, 1202 Allanson Road, Mundelein, IL 60060-3808. Telephone: (847) 949-6058. Fax: (847) 566-4580. Ask to speak to Edward Stygar, Jr., executive director, and request a copy of standards used in the group’s accreditation site surveys.
• Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, 9933 Lawler Ave., Skokie, IL 60077. Telephone: (847) 676-9610. Fax: (847) 676-9628. Request information from the survey processing department regarding the Accreditation Handbook for Ambulatory Health Care. The price is $50 plus $6.00 shipping and handling.
• American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), 919 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60611-1683. Telephone: (312) 787-2672. Ask to speak to the Professional Practice Section regarding medical record quality assurance criteria. (Assistance will be limited to AHIMA members only.)
• Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, 1 Renaissance Blvd., Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60189. Telephone: (630) 792-5900. Fax: (630) 792-5005. Ask for the associate director on duty in the Department of Standards, and request information on health facility medical record accreditation standards.
• National Committee for Quality Assurance, P.O. Box 533, Annapolis Junction, MD 20701. Telephone: (800) 839-6487. Fax: (301) 953-2838. Request a copy of the Accreditation Standards for 1997. Cost is $55, plus $7.50 shipping and handling.