Educational CD-ROMs available at retail stores
The following patient-oriented, health-related CD-ROMs can all be purchased at retail computer stores for less than $100:
* A.D.A.M.: The Inside Story, from A.D.A.M. Software.
This CD-ROM explains how the body works. It also includes segments on how a fetus develops in the womb and how to do the Heimlich maneuver.
* 3-D Body Adventure, from Knowledge Adventure.
This resource provides a three-dimensional view of several body parts. It also makes learning interesting by taking viewers through the heart and the lungs rather than simply showing the organs.
* HealthSoft Complete Guide to Symptoms, Illness and Surgery, from Great Bear Technology.
These graphics show surgical procedures and help users identify diseases associated with symptoms and vice versa.
* Mayo Clinic Family Health Book: The Ultimate Interactive Guide to Health, from IVI Publishing.
This disk explains diseases, illustrates procedures such as angioplasty, explains anatomy, and provides first aid and safety tips.
* PharmAssist, from Software Marketing.
This CD-ROM has information on drugs, ranging from allergy pills to pain-killers. It includes a drug interaction section that lists possible complications from combining certain medications.
* The Family Doctor, from Creative Multimedia.
This disk provides answers to the 2,300 most commonly asked questions on more than 280 conditions. Video clips, animation, and audio embellish the answers. *