Areas to Focus on During Survey Preparation
1. Patient Care: care planning, referral, transfer, discharge, medication monitoring, orders, documentation.
2. Infection Control: universal precautions, biohazardous waste and disposal, reportable diseases, TB skin tests, hepatitis B. Waivers, surveillance of patient and employee infections.
3. Safety: incident reporting, safety hazards, home safety, fire safety, emergency preparedness.
4. Human Resources: personnel records, references, hiring practices, evaluations, job descriptions, competency.
5. Ethics: billing practices, professional ethics in patient care, patient care issues, abuse and neglect.
6. Education: patient education issues, guidelines, hand-outs.
7. Leadership: financial planning, organizational goals, mission statement, organizational charts.
8. Information Management: medical records, retention, documentation.
9. Performance Improvement: monitoring activities, process improvement, identified problem areas, statistical analysis.
10. Equipment Management: calibration, tracking, maintenance, cleaning.
11. Law and Regulation: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta), Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Health Care Financing Administration, Department of Transportation, and Food & Drug Administration (all in Washington, DC).
• Martha George, owner, Healthcare Accreditation Consultants, Spring Hill, TN. Telephone: (931) 486-0566.