The trusted source for
healthcare information and
Check out these materials, sites
Home care agencies that need to improve their pain management education have a variety of materials available to help them in this quest. Here are a few resources that are specifically designed for nurses and/or home care agencies:
• Pain video training series: The American Alliance of Cancer Pain Initiatives of Madison, WI, sells for $70 a series of seven videos, each
are 10-15 minutes long, called "Effective Pain Management in Home Health." For more information, contact the AACPI at 1300 University Ave., Room 4720, Madison, WI 53706; telephone: (608) 265-8655; fax: (608) 265-4014; web site: www.aacpi.org.
• Pain resource manual: AACPI also has
a pain management resource manual called Building an Institutional Commitment to Pain Management, published by the Resource Center (2nd edition). The manual, which costs $40, provides detailed guides and quality improvement tools for health care professionals to design effective pain management policies, procedures, standards of practice, flow sheets, etc. For more information, contact the AACPI at 1300 Univer-sity Ave., Room 4720, Madison, WI 53706; telephone: (608) 265-8655; fax: (608) 265-4014; web site: www.aacpi.org.
• Pain publications: The American Pain Society has various publications about pain, including The Journal of Pain, APS Bulletin, Principles of Analgesic Use in the Treatment of Acute Pain and Cancer Pain, 4th Edition, Guidelines for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain in Sickle-Cell Disease, 1st Edition, and Managed Care and Pain. For more information, contact the American Pain Society, 4700 W. Lake Ave., Glenview, IL 60025-1485; telephone: (847) 375-4715; web site: www.ampainsoc.org.
• Video on pain management: Marymount University has produced a two-volume video series called "The Reality of Home Health Care," which includes a video that features an example of treating a home care patient who has severe pain. The videos together cost $175; $115 separately, including shipping and handling. For more information, contact Leslie Jean Neal, PhD, RNC, CRRN, Assistant Professor of Nursing, Mary-mount University, 2807 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22207; telephone: (703) 455-3036 and press option 1 to hear more about the videos.
• Linda Mlynarczyk, BSN, RNC, Clinical Director, and Penny Rhein, BSN, RNC, Vice President, United Home Health Services Inc., 2200 Canton Center, Suite 250, Canton, MI 48187. Telephone: (734) 981-8820.
• Donna Mullen, RN, BSN, Program Coordinator, North Carolina Pain Initiative, American Cancer Society, 11 S. Boylan Ave., Raleigh, NC 27603. Telephone: (919) 834-8463.
• Penny Murphy, MS, RNC, CRNH, Project Director, Michigan Cancer Pain Initiative, P.O. Box 683, Fenton, MI 48430. Telephone: (313) 532-1978.
• Lynn Zuellig, RN, BSN, Hospice Director, and Donna Zwerk, RN, BA, Director, Certified and Private Division, Lutheran Home Care Agency & Hospice of Hope, 9710 Junction Road, Frankenmuth, MI 48734. Telephone: (517) 652-4663.