Acadiana Surgery Center external disaster plan
In the case of a community disaster occurring in Iberia Parish, as well as several of the surrounding parishes, it is conceivable that Acadiana Surgery Center might be expected to provide facilities for emergency medical care. The purpose of this plan is to prepare and arrange for efficient utilization of the facilities and personnel in order that the center can meet its responsibilities to the community.
A disaster is defined as any occurrence that would results in the influx of such a large number of casualties in a sufficiently short period of time as to completely disrupt the center’s normal routines and procedures. It may range from large accidents to natural disasters such as hurricanes or tornadoes, and up to warfare. In the event that biological disasters or warfare occur, the center will close in order to provide support to the Civil Defense.
The Governing body will activate the external disaster plan.
The Emergency Medical Scene Commander or Director of Civil Defense will be responsible for notifying the center from the disaster site. The EMS Commander will notify the center of the number and condition of patients and the estimated time of arrival.
Medics at the scene will do initial triages and will tag all patients as to the class of care needed. Vital signs and other medical treatment performed will be noted on the card front or back, and this card may be used by the center to document any further treatment rendered. The cards will be used for identification throughout the patient’s treatment in addition to any identification number that the center may assign to the patient on their arrival.
Triage Classifications are as follows:
Immediate urgent care required. High survival probability if given care.
Urgent care required. Systemic implication or can wait 45-60 minutes; or poor chances of survival regardless of urgency.
Minimal care required. Minor injuries or can wait 1-2 hours with minimal care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Nurses, or delegate, will be responsible for assigning duties to personnel who will be assisting the Medical Staff. Sufficient staffing will be assigned to the following duties:
- Answering the telephone.
- Delivery of requested supplies.
- Assisting in proper identification of patients and placement of patient in proper holding area based on class.
- A route sheet will be kept with each patient. This sheet will be used for documenting admission, services rendered, transfer to other facilities, and discharge. See attached form.
- Nurses will perform necessary nursing duties. Current standing orders of the center will serve as treatment protocol.
- Transport patients from holding to proper treatment room.
- Coordinate patient transfers to other facilities when appropriate.
- Schedule necessary patient services with other facilities as needed.
- Remove soiled linen and trash, keeping fresh supply of linen.
- 1Clean equipment.
Volunteers will report to the Director of Nurses, or delegate and be allowed to assist as follows:
- Volunteers with medical training will be allowed to assist to the level of their expertise as determined by the Governing Body.
- All other volunteers will be allowed to assist with any nonmedical duties.
Obviously, different scenarios will have different staffing requirements. Assignments are offered as a guideline, and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- ID cards or name pins will be worn to identify employees and volunteers to other employees and physicians.
- When making notification calls, in order to expedite procedures, it should not be necessary to give employees a description of the disaster, only that a Code Orange has been put into effect.
- Personnel making notification calls should inform the Director of Nurses when calls are completed.
- Good communication is a key asset in any disaster. Communications between areas may be done by phone.
- In order to calm concerned family members, the staff may either call or go to the treatment areas to find out the status of a patient.
- Patients may only be discharged by a member of the Medical Staff.
- Matt Musso, RPh, will provide emergency drug supplies.
- Doerle’s Food Service will provide emergency food supplies.
- New Iberia City Police Department will provide security personnel. Contact Major Scott at 369-2349.
- Less than essential services will be discontinued in the event of an external disaster. The attending physician will determine which procedures can be discontinued.
- In the event of evacuation, patients will be relocated. The magnitude of the disaster will affect the relocation site. In localized disasters involving relatively small geographical areas, patients will be transferred to undamaged health care facilities. Local relocation sites include Dauterive Hospital and Iberia Medical Center. Ambulances will transport patients. For larger disasters, nondischargeable patients will be relocated to a designated evacuation site.
DISASTER FLOW SHEET
Scene of Disaster (Initial Triage Done by EMS)
Center Waiting Area (Triage Area)
Primary Treatment Areas (Listed Below)
All Class 1 patients will be treated in the procedure rooms.
All Class 2 patients will be treated in the recovery holding area.
All Class 3 patients will be treated in the corridor.
All Class 4 patients will be held along empty walls.
OTHER DEDICATED AREAS
Command Center Nurses Station
Patient Families Staff Lounge
Press Area Medical Records
PERSONNEL TO BE CALLED
The local Civil Defense Director will be given the private phone numbers of the Governing Body to call in the event of an external disaster. The Governing Body then in turn will notify all personnel to report immediately to the center for duty.
HAZARD VULNERABILITY ANALYSIS
An analysis will be performed annually and included in the evaluation of effectiveness of the emergency preparedness plan. This analysis will rate the likelihood of incidents (based on Red Cross/Disaster Relief Act of 1974) and their occurrence. All ratings of 3 or 4 need to be addressed in Emergency Plans.
Source: Acadiana Surgery Center, New Iberia, LA.