Sample learning objectives
For preceptor class:
- Identify five characteristics of adult learners.
- List the four steps for giving effective feedback.
- Define the four stages of orientation transition.
- List eight points to remember when teaching clinical skills.
- List three disadvantages and three advantages of precepting.
For ED nursing clinical practice:
- The ED nurse will correctly differentiate between electrocardiogram recordings of first-, second-, and third-degree heart blocks.
- The ED nurse will correctly calculate the infusion rate of weight-based intravenous medications using a hand-held calculator.
- The ED nurse will compare and contrast the electrocardiogram findings associated with anterior, lateral, posterior, and inferior wall myocardial infarctions.
- The ED nurse will prepare a prioritized nursing action plan for the pediatric patient admitted with status asthmaticus.
- The ED nurse will correctly select those patients who are safe for discharge, post conscious sedation.
Source: Objectives for preceptor class: Good Samaritan Hospital, Puyallup, WA. Objectives for ED nursing clinical practice: Patti R. Zuzelo, EdD, RN, CS, Assistant Professor at La Salle University School of Nursing, Philadelphia.