What Makes Workers Want to Stay on the Job?
The consequences of labor problems often show up in employee health: streams of new employees who need to be trained and oriented; injured workers who were on a short-staffed unit; and stress-related symptoms that lead to absenteeism.
According to the Healthcare @Work survey by The Loyalty Institute of Aon Consulting in Miami, seven key factors lead to greater commitment on the part of employees:
- The quality of management and supervision in place at the organization.
- The satisfaction employees receive from the work they do every day.
- The organization’s effort to build a sense of spirit and pride.
- The organization’s effort to create a stress-free environment.
- The opportunities for personal growth provided by doing the job.
- The adequacy of staff load in the organization.
- The organization’s effort to provide pay and benefits that meet expectations.