The trusted source for
healthcare information and
By Gary Evans, AHC Media Senior Staff Writer
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has ratcheted down Zika virus warnings for the Wynwood neighborhood in Miami, FL, saying pregnant women can travel to the 1-square mile area, but should take measures to avoid mosquito bites.
The CDC warned pregnant women not to travel to the area in an Aug. 1 2016 advisory after local transmission of Zika via mosquitoes was documented in the neighborhood of shops and restaurants. No new cases of locally transmitted Zika have been reported in the Wynwood area since early August, and low numbers of mosquitoes have been found in traps there for the past several weeks since aerial application of insecticides, the CDC reported.
There have been at least 43 locally transmitted mosquito-borne cases of Zika in Florida. According to the CDC, revised guidance for the Wynwood area of Miami include the following recommendations:
• Pregnant women and their partners living in or traveling to the area should follow steps to prevent mosquito bites.
• Pregnant women and partners of pregnant women who are concerned about potential Zika virus exposure may also consider postponing nonessential travel to all parts of Miami-Dade County.
• Women and men who lived in or traveled to the area should be aware this location was considered an area of active Zika virus transmission from June 15 to September 18, 2016. Pregnant women should talk to their doctor or other healthcare provider about getting tested for Zika; and people who have a pregnant sex partner should consistently and correctly use condoms to prevent passing Zika during sex or they should not have sex during the pregnancy.
• Women and men who do not have signs or symptoms of Zika and who traveled to the area from June 15 to September 18 should wait at least 8 weeks before trying to get pregnant.
• Men who had signs or symptoms of Zika or were diagnosed with Zika and who traveled to the area from June 15 to September 18 should wait at least 6 months before trying to get their partner pregnant.