Bariatric Surgery Apps May Improve Outcomes in Patients
October 4th, 2016
America’s growing obesity problem continues to cause serious health complications. Recently, 45 international medical and scientific societies, including the American Diabetes Association, called for bariatric surgery to become a standard option for diabetes treatment. The procedure costs up to $26,000 — not including the cost of post-op visits or complications. Nearly 17% of bariatric surgery patients experience complications.
How can mobile solutions help improve bariatric patient outcomes? Download the datasheet: Bariatric App for Pre-Op and Post-Op Bariatric Surgery Patient Engagement
- Increase info session attendance for preliminary bariatric surgery candidates.
Most bariatric surgery candidates have to attend a mandatory info session to understand the benefits and risks of the surgery and to choose the best route toward a healthy life. With a custom, branded bariatric app , you can:
- invite more people to the info session,
- encourage them to bring friends, and
- follow up with more educational materials or quizzes.
- Provide a safe, private space to learn more about bariatric surgery.
Some patients can't make it to info-sessions for various reasons — for example, they live far away, or may be embarrassed to come to the meeting. The app can:
- provide videos and interactive quizzes to meet the virtual info session mandate,
- educate patients about surgery and manage expectations, and
- encourage patients to get in touch and obtain personalized consultation.
- Reduce complications by providing thorough pre-op and post-op guidance.
Pre-op guidelines and post-op regimens are crucial for the successful long-term outcome of bariatric surgery. Instead of relying on a heap of brochures and other printed materials, make the app the go-to source of important information — available anytime, anywhere.
Prior to a scheduled bariatric surgery, use the app to automatically remind patients about:
- the date and time of surgery,
- time-sensitive pre-op instructions (“Do not eat after Wednesday, 2 p.m.”), and
- the names and contacts of care team members.
During recovery, leverage your mobile app to encourage your patients to:
- track weight loss and nutrition
- ask their dietitian questions,
- share their progress, and more.
To learn more about MobileSmith and our rapidly deployed, branded hospital apps for rapid ROI, please visit: https://www.mobilesmith.com/hospital-apps