Skip to main content

Relias Media has upgraded our site!

Please bear with us as we work through some issues in order to provide you with a better experience.

Thank you for your patience.

All Access Subscription

Get unlimited access to our full publication and article library.

Get Access Now

Interested in Group Sales? Learn more

Logo SDS

April 1, 2011

View Archives Issues

  • Drug shortages create a crisis — Act now or risk cancellations

    Many ambulatory surgery programs are accustomed to using a specific size of vials for hydromorphone, but they have been forced by what is being described as the worst drug shortage ever to convert to vials twice the normal size due to a shortage of their customary vials.
  • Same-Day Surgery Manager: My best tips and tricks for your surgery program

    Caffeine. You know how you feel when you are one cup of coffee over the line? Everything is jumbled and irritating, and you just want to lash out at someone! What an uncomfortable feeling that is, for you and for those around you (as I have been told...). We see it with the surgeons, staff, anesthesia, front desk staff seemingly everyone is wired just a bit too tight.
  • Video cameras shine as your best detective

    Some health care facilities are finding that video cameras inside and outside the facility are allowing them to reduce crime and maintain security staffing even as the facility grows.
  • Pressure builds for mandated flu shots

    More health care workers responded to this season's push for influenza vaccination by rolling up their sleeves and getting the vaccine. By mid-November, 56% reported having gotten the vaccine and 7% said they definitely planned to get the vaccine, according to a web-based survey conducted for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 68% of hospital employees had received the vaccine, and another 5% said they definitely intended to be vaccinated, for a total of 73%.
  • Use these benchmarks for 4 procedures

    Six new reports issued by the AAAHC Institute for Quality Improvement (AAAHC Institute), a not-for-profit subsidiary of the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC), offer insights to enhance the quality and efficiency of some of the most common outpatient procedures.
  • BPS found to be a safe and effective option

    Researchers report that, compared with conventional sedation, balanced propofol sedation (BPS) using propofol with midazolam and meperidine provided higher provider satisfaction, better patient cooperation, and similar adverse event profiles in patients undergoing therapeutic endoscopic procedures.