Below are the top five issues cited by The Joint Commission (TJC) as “not compliant” during surveys and reviews from Jan. 1, 2018, through June 30, 2018.
The most commonly cited issues related to fire safety and utility systems:
- Lack of compliance in supplying and maintaining fire extinguishing systems in the hospital — 88%;
- Not properly managing the hospital’s risks related to utility systems — 80%;
- Not reducing infection risks often linked to medical equipment, devices, and supplies in the hospital — 74%;
- Not providing a safe and effective hospital environment — 73%;
- Not establishing and maintaining hospital facilities that help to reduce fire and smoke hazards — 72%.
TJC’s full report on the most commonly cited issues, broken down by different types of healthcare facilities, is available online at: https://bit.ly/2XzT0wV.