Worker Bill of Rights in Pandemic
California union demands action to shore up frontlines
A union representing 15,000 healthcare workers in California has issued a “bill of rights” demanding the levels of testing and personal protective equipment (PPE) needed to provide a safe workplace in the coronavirus pandemic.
Saying healthcare workers comprise 12% of the COVID-19 infections in California, the National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW) demanded action by medical centers and systems.
“We have developed this policy agenda based on guidance from public health officials, research into best practices at healthcare facilities, and conversations with NUHW members,” the union stated.1 In addition to PPE and testing, the healthcare worker rights include:
- Providing training on all COVID-19 protocols, including new training or refreshers immediately when protocols change;
- Providing free access to high-quality mental healthcare services;
- Providing safe, high-quality, temporary nearby housing for healthcare workers who choose not to return home to limit exposure to their family members;
- Giving workers input in decisions on staffing, PPE, infection control protocols, surge planning, and changes that affect their work;
- Giving workers additional paid time off to care for themselves or their families, presumptive eligibility for workers’ compensation for COVID-19 illness, and childcare support to continue working during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- National Union of Healthcare Workers. COVID-19 Healthcare Workers’ Bill of Rights. https://nuhw.org/covid-19/covid-19-healthcare-workers-bill-of-rights/
A union representing 15,000 healthcare workers in California has issued a “bill of rights” demanding the levels of testing and personal protective equipment needed to provide a safe workplace in the coronavirus pandemic.
Subscribe Now for Access
You have reached your article limit for the month. We hope you found our articles both enjoyable and insightful. For information on new subscriptions, product trials, alternative billing arrangements or group and site discounts please call 800-688-2421. We look forward to having you as a long-term member of the Relias Media community.