Skip to main content

Relias Media has upgraded our site!

Please bear with us as we work through some issues in order to provide you with a better experience.

Thank you for your patience.

All Access Subscription

Get unlimited access to our full publication and article library.

Get Access Now

Interested in Group Sales? Learn more

The patient, a 65-year-old woman, sought treatment at a hospital for a hernia in 2008. During what was supposed to be a routine procedure to correct the hernia, the patient’s colon was punctured. The operation was performed by an attending physician and a resident-in-training, which the patient was not informed about. The puncture was not detected at the time.

Surgical mistake leads to infection, loss of large intestine, and $12 million verdict