The trusted source for
healthcare information and
Mid Carolina Cardiology in Charlotte, NC, incorporates performance standards for customer service into job descriptions and evaluations.
Adopted from standards developed by Sullivan/Luallin consulting firm in San Diego, they cover five areas: courtesy and helpfulness, telephone standards, handling complaints, teamwork and cooperation, and professionalism. Here are the standards for handling complaints:
1. Respond to questions and complaints with a "How can I help you?" attitude.
2. Stay calm; don’t take complaints personally; focus on a solution.
3. Let the patient/other person know that you are interested in solving the problem.
4. Listen for the facts; let the patient/other person tell the whole story.
5. Don’t respond with arguments or excuses; apologize if errors have been made.
6. Do what is within your authority to resolve the situation.
7. Describe what you plan to do; follow through on promises you make.
8. Keep your supervisor informed; monitor progress and document your actions.