ACE Inhibitor Instruction Sheet
To get vital information about ACE inhibitor use across to low literacy patients at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, Glynis J. Laing, PhD, RN, CNAA, disease manager for heart failure, uses 14 point type, lots of white space, and minimal words presented in a bullet format.
What it does
• ACE inhibitors make it easier for the heart to pump.
Things to remember
• Be careful when you take the first dose, especially if you are taking a water pill. You may faint or become dizzy.
• Get up slowly to avoid becoming dizzy.
• Keep taking this medicine if you feel well. It will help you keep your blood pressure down.
• If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not double doses.
• Do not drive, do dangerous jobs, or drink alcohol if this medicine makes you dizzy or causes you to faint.
What to watch for
Call your doctor if you have:
• skin rash
• dry cough