The trusted source for
healthcare information and
• The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)/American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) policy statement, Care of Children in the Emergency Department: Guidelines for Preparedness (published in the April 2001 issues of Pediatrics and Annals of Emergency Medicine), is among the AAP policy statements that can be downloaded free from the web site: www.aap.org. (Click on "Policy Statements." Under heading "C," click on "Care of children in the emergency department: Guidelines for preparedness.") The policy statement also can be purchased for $1.95 per copy, including shipping and handling. To order, contact: AAP Publications Department, P.O. Box 747, Elk Grove Village, IL 60009-0747. Telephone: (800) 433-9016 Ext. 4776 or (847) 981-7924. Fax: (847) 228-1281. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course (ENPC) is a 16-hour course. For a list of ENPC courses in your area, go to the ENA web site (www.ena.org), click consecutively on "Programs and Meetings," "Continuing Education," and "ENPC Schedule." For more information, contact: ENA, Department of Trauma and Pediatric Services, 915 Lee St., Des Plaines, IL 60016. Telephone: (800) 900-9659. E-mail: email@example.com.
• A Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course (PALS) is offered by the American Heart Association (AHA). The course focuses on advanced medical assessment and interventions used to treat pediatric victims of respiratory and/or cardiovascular emergency and stroke. To contact AHA staff at a local level, call (888) 352-3824 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the course, go to the AHA site for Emergency Cardiovascular Care Programs (www.cpr-ecc.org). Click on "About Courses," "Healthcare Provider Course Descriptions," and then "PALS provider."
• The Advanced Pediatric Life Support Course (APLS) is offered by ACEP and the AAP. To find a course in your area, go to the AAP web site (www.aap.org). Click consecutively on "Professional Education," "Life Support Programs," "APLS: The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Course," and then "Find an APLS Course or Course Director." Or contact: American Academy of Pediatrics, 141 N.W. Point Blvd., Elk Grove Village, IL 60007-1098. Telephone: (847) 434-4000, ext. 4795. Fax: (847) 228-1350. E-mail: email@example.com.
• A free Pediatric Resource Kit available from Emergency Medical Services for Children covers illness and injury prevention, patient care training and safety, equipment guidelines, public policy, and special populations. The kit can be downloaded from the EMS-C web site (www.ems-c.org) by clicking on "Products and Resources" and then "EMS-C Resources." A free CD-ROM version is available by contacting: EMS-C Clearinghouse at (703) 902-1203 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.