The cost of processing medical claims
• Insurance and health care providers processed 3.76 billion paper claims last year.
• Nearly half of total health claims — 1.6 billion — are still processed manually.
• Consumers wait an average of six weeks for insurance companies to process their claims for payment; errors can add more weeks of waiting; and 20% to 30% of current claims need to be refiled.
• Average claim for physicians’ services stood at $130.20 by year-end 1995.
• Average cost for a physician to file a claim was $7.92.
• For insurers, the cost of processing and paying a claim ranges from $8.50 to $18, the average cost being $10.95.
Source: Milliman & Robertson, Seattle; Coopers & Lybrand, Chicago.