General Rules for the Ketogenic Diet
1. Caloric intake should be approximately 75% of the recommended calorie level for a child’s age and ideal weight. Level may be higher for an especially active child.
2. Ideal weight should be based on recognized standards.
3. Most children are on a 4-to-1 ketogenic ratio. Children under 15 months or obese children may be started on a 3-to-1 or 3.5-to-1 ratio of fat to protein plus carbohydrates.
4. Liquid intake should be restricted to less than one times maintenance (approximately 75%). As a rule of thumb, a child shouldn’t drink more cc’s per day than the number of calories in the diet.
5. Diet must meet protein recommended daily requirement as calculated by a dietician.
6. The diet must be supplemented daily with calcium; a sugar-free, lactose-free multivitamin; and fluoride, if indicated.
Source: Stanford (CA) University Ketogenic Diet Protocol.