Where to go for more info
Plenty of resources about bloodborne pathogens and needle safety are available for health care professionals:
• American Nursing Association’s bloodborne pathogen brochure (WP-2). To order, call (800) 274-4262.
• Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Safer Needle Devices: Protecting Health Care Workers (available on www.osha.gov or contact your state nurses association).
• National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Guidelines for Selecting, Evalu-ating, and Using Sharps Disposal Containers. Pub. #97-111, 1998. To order, call (800) 35NIOSH.
• American Hospital Association. Sharps Injury Prevention Program: A Step-By-Step Guide, by Pugliese G, Salahuddin M. Chicago: 1999.
• American Nurses Association: www.needlestick.org.
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov.
• Frontline Healthcare Workers Safety Foundation: www.frontlinefoundation.org.
• National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health: www.cdc.gov/niosh/homepage.html.
• Occupational Safety and Health Administration: www.osha.gov.
• University of Virginia International Health Care Worker Safety Center: www.med.Virginia.edu/~epinet.
Source: American Nurses Association, Washington, DC.